Wednesday 5 May 2010

Between the showers

The weather has settled into an all too familiar pattern, with rain showers every day. It does mean we have high humidity and clean air, so we have plenty of wildlife that can tolerate consistent showers, but it does mean you have to choose your photography sessions very carefully.

One water-loving species is Water Horsetail - Equisetum fluviatile. Field horsetail is present very close-by, so I'll look out for the hybrid, E x.litorale, which I see from time to time.

(The red stems belong to Meadowsweet which is very prolific in this area.)

The first of this year's Pea family to flower: Bush Vetch - Vicia sepium. This is host to a number of micromoths, and, as expected, the normal purple version is very much earlier than the pure white variant that I've been tracking over the past few years.



This spider caught my eye as it hung on a small piece of web. I must get my eye in for spiders: they're the biggest group that I haven't got to grips with yet. Maybe next year.


No comments: