Monday 10 August 2009

Ancient Deciduous Woodland

I have been looking for the Bracken leafminer Chirosia histricina for a few years, now. It's clearly very choosy about where it lays its eggs: A long stretch of Bracken was empty apart from a very shaded section under a Beech. Maybe they like tightly-controlled temperature or humidity.



One of my favourite hoverflies - Leucozona glaucia:



A much more developed case of the fly-killing fungus Entomophthora muscae:

I'm already seeing dead flies on most Angelica plants now. (The fungus is the orange/pink area on the abdomen).


The fungal season has started quite early this year, so I'll show the first images in the next post.

2 comments:

Gill said...

One of my favourite hoverflies - Leucozona glaucia:

Mine too - but I haven't seen any yet.

Gill said...

Update: saw two today, on angelica (of course!) - with a large number of Eristalis, probably pertinax.